50 Beautiful Merlot Hair Color Ideas for Any Hair Length
Merlot hair color is perfect for those looking for a warm, rich shade of red.
It’s a dark color that can be worn as-is or blended with other hues to create different effects. Merlot hair color looks best on people with light skin tones and dark eyes.
Here are our favorite looks:
How to Get Merlot Hair Color
Merlot hair color is a red-based dark wine shade, but it doesn’t have to be intense.
For example, you can use merlot as an accent color by adding it to your favorite balayage base or dyeing just the bangs with it. The possibilities are endless!
To get merlot hair color at home, follow these steps:
- Take a strand of your natural hair and put it on top of another piece of hair that has been dyed in a similar shade (i.e., black). If there’s no match available in your supply cabinet, ask for help from someone who knows their stuff – contact your stylist for assistance.
- Do this until you’ve got enough volume (about three or four pieces) to see how well they blend when held up against each other under a light source, like sunlight coming through a window.
Most Popular Shades for Merlot Hair Color
The most popular shades for merlot hair color are dark merlot, rusk merlot, bright merlot hair, burgundy, and deep merlot hair.
These shades will do it for you if you want to go bold with your hair color.
They look great on any length of hair as well as skin tone. You can also accessorize with different styles or wear a short bob-cut hairstyle if that fits your personality best!
The benefits of merlot hair color are that it is easy to maintain and has a low fade rate. This means you will not have to worry about your color fading out as quickly as other hair dye shades.
It also lasts longer than most dyes, meaning that you don’t have to recolor your hair very often.
Style 1: Dark Merlot Hair Color
If you’re going for a dark merlot hue, be prepared for it to be more intense than a lighter shade.
Darker shades of hair dye are more likely to fade, which is why many stylists recommend that clients use permanent hair dyes over semi-permanent ones.
The good news is that with proper maintenance, darker merlot hair color can last as long as two months or longer before fading out.
Here are some of the best color options we found online:
On the other hand, if your goal is to keep your merlot color looking fresh and vibrant all year long, there are strategies you can use to help prevent brassy tones from creeping into your look.
One easy way?
Use purple shampoo regularly!
Purple shampoos contain ingredients like violet leaf extract and indigo that counteract yellow tones in the hair shaft and neutralize brassiness, so only red hues remain at their strongest possible vibrancy without being overpowered by any unwanted orange undertones lurking around beneath the surface of each strand of hair.
This will help keep things looking fresh between salon visits without having to bleach them out weekly, like some people do when they want something super bright but don’t want it fading quickly, either.
Style 2: Bright Merlot Hair Color
The color is also flattering to all hair types, so you can use it if you have light brown or black hair and want to add some dimension.
Here are the best styles for inspiration:
Style 3: Burgundy Merlot Hair Color
Burgundy is a popular hair color that has been around for decades.
It’s often associated with the “goth” look and is characterized by dark red, brown, and black shades.
Check out these pretty ideas:
Burgundy can be achieved by mixing brown and red hair dyes, which will give your locks more dimension than if you were to dye them red—and it’ll also make them stand out from all the other shades of blonde and brunette we see on the runways today!
The beautiful color is ideal for those who want to maintain their natural tresses but still add some pizzazz to their look.
Burgundy goes excellent with long and short hairstyles—so don’t be afraid to experiment!
Style 4: Deep Merlot Hair Color
This deep burgundy hue is a great color for fall and winter. It has a warm, rich tone that looks good on all skin tones, especially those with light to medium skin tones.
The best part? This color works well on short or long hair!
Get inspired by these ideas:
If you have long hair and are looking for something different, try this wine-colored hairstyle.
The color is subtle enough not to look like a total dye job but also has enough depth that it isn’t dull!
How to Take Care of Merlot Colored Hair
- Use hydrating shampoo and conditioner. Merlot is a rich red color that can be hard on hair, so it is essential to use products designed to keep moisture in the strands of colored hair.
- Use a good hair mask once or twice a week. A mask will also help keep moisture levels balanced and protect against damage from heat styling tools like blow dryers and flat irons, which could cause the dye job to become duller over time if used too frequently.
- Avoid direct sunlight as much as possible! Sun exposure will fade any dye job faster than anything else (even washing your hair), so it’s crucial to protect yourself from sunburn and keep your merlot color looking fresh longer!
The merlot hair color is one of the most popular hair shades, and it’s easy to see why.
It’s rich, deep, and vibrant. It looks beautiful with any skin tone and can be paired with almost any outfit.
Merlot-colored hair can be worn in various styles and cut lengths too!
Whether you’re looking for waves or curls or even something more angular like a bob or pixie cut, there are plenty of options available when choosing your merlot style.