50 Hottest Long Pixie Cut Ideas
A long pixie cut is a short-length cut where the hair is longer than a traditional pixie cut. Long pixies are usually shorter in the back and sides, while longer on top with long bangs. It’s the best haircut for women who want a low-maintenance, short hairstyle that isn’t too short.
Minnesota-based stylist Torrie Rinehart likes this type of short cut that can help women with fine or thin hair. “If you’re frustrated by your hair’s lack of volume or by its limp texture, shorter cuts like a longer pixie are ideal. It works only if you can commit to using products,” she states.
What’s great about long pixies is the opportunities to change things up. Play with colors and add some details like a fringe or an undercut. “You can always grow your hair back if you think it wasn’t right for you,” Rinehart assures.
Short, sculpted pixie haircuts tend to seem like your tresses grow a lot faster. Especially on thicker hair, you may feel like it starts to poof out as it grows. Rinehart suggests “getting weight consistently removed from your mane. Go to the salon every 6-10 weeks to keep its shape.”
Tips on How to Choose a Long Pixie Haircut and Hairstyle
Here are the most important things you shoulder consider when choosing long pixie haircuts.
- Maintenance: If you want to keep your hair short, it will require more salon visits and styling to time.
- Styling and Products: Buy some texturizing paste, wax, or spray for a modern messy pixie crop.
- Face Shape:
- Round Faces: Keep the bangs longer and angled and the hair straight to make your face appear narrower.
- Square Faces: Consider a long shaggy pixie to balance out a strong jawline.
- Long Faces: Choose a side-parted look with a wavy texture to shorten your face a bit.
- Oval Faces: You can pretty much wear any cut you see here!
- Heart Faces: You can also choose any cut that catches your eye!
- Hair Type:
- Thick Hair: Will require more texture to thin and shape the cut to take weight out.
- Thin and Fine Hair: Ask your stylist to cut more layers for your hair to appear thicker.
- Curly Hair: As with most cuts for curly hair, it will require more maintenance and products to keep your curls healthy and the shape of your cut. I suggest seeing a DevaCut specialist.
- Wavy Hair: Don’t expect a polished look unless you flat iron. Embrace your natural waves. Apply product, brush, diffuse and comb or use fingers to style.
Having a consultation with a professional is advantageous in any event. Your stylist may have envisioned a haircut idea that you hadn’t considered. They know what suits your hair type, face shape, lifestyle, and product regime the best.
Before you schedule your next haircut, check out these examples of popular photos of long pixie cut ideas and save your favorite photo for inspiration.